What Is Hoarse Voice?
A hoarse voice is an irregular variation in the voice box. Some experience a lower pitch voice, while other a high pitch. Every hoarse voice is different from the other; it all depends on the kind of symptoms the person experiences.
Causes of Hoarse Voice
You get a hoarse voice when the voice box experiences damage. Even if your voice box has been irritating and you feel certain rash in the throat, then it’s a sign that your voice box is not in good shape.
The most occurring cause of hoarse voice is Acute laryngitis, which is a condition in which a person’s vocal cords swell up. Inflammation is usually a result of extreme yelling or a high pitch singing. Also, a viral infection in the respiratory system can cause inflammation of the vocal cords make the voice different from normal.
There are several other causes of hoarse voice, some of which are:
- Vocal Cords disruption
- Lung problem
- Extreme Trauma
- Larynx cancer
- Thyroid Problems
You would instantly know when your voice sounds different. If you have a low pitch voice normally, then it would turn into a high pitch. Similarly, a smoother voice tone will turn into a harsh and irritating voice. The symptoms vary, and not even one person can say that he/she suffered from the same thing when going through the hoarse voice condition.
The treatment of the hoarse voice depends on the cause.
For example, if the hoarse voice was a result of disruption or irregular activity in the respiratory system, then taking cough syrups and humidifying the throat through effective fluids can help eradicate the problem.
- If your vocal cords hurt, then it is advisable to practice silence for a few days, or speak in a light, low voice, so there is less pressure on the voice box. This way, it will heal faster, and you can have your normal voice back too.
- Try to avoid taking any antibiotic. Also, you will receive the same advice from many medical professionals too.
- Quit Smoking
- If the hoarse voice has been there for a long time, and no treatment works, opting for a voice box surgery is the only practical option.
How to Prevent the hoarse voice?
There are several ways to avoid hoarse voice such as,
- Try singing at a low pitch. But you have to sing a high pitch song then gargle with salt-water afterward.
- If you have a speech or have to sing, then avoid speaking too much during the day. Doing this will keep the voice box calm and not harsh.
- If you’re a chain smoker, then start reducing the number of cigarettes every day, until you smoke none.
- Avoid consuming spicy foods, or food with nicotine or tar in it.
Suffering from a hoarse voice can be a horrifying experience. Also, it is difficult to treat if the voice box if the damage is serious. To avoid such medical condition, frequent gargle, consumption of hot fluids, less yelling, and practicing silence can be helpful.
When you believe the issue is serious, get in touch with our NYC Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) doctors at your earliest for instant help.
Ear, Nose & Throat of New York
Michael Burnett MD