• best-ent-doctor-nyc
  • best-ear-nose-throat-doctor-nyc
  • best-ear-doctor-nyc
  • best-nose-doctor-nyc
  • best-throat-doctor-nyc

Specializing in problems of the Ear, nose, sinuses and throat.

An ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) is a physician trained in the medical and surgical treatment of the ears, nose, throat, and related structures of the head and neck. They have special expertise in managing diseases of the ears, nose and nasal passage sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity and upper pharynx (mouth and throat), as well as structures of the neck and face. ENT is the oldest medical specialty in the United States.

PLEASE CALL FOR SAME DAY AND URGENT APPOINTMENTS
NOT ALL AVAILABLE APPOINTMENTS ARE LISTED ON ZOCDOC

212-867-4813

To Book Online Via Zocdoc:

Michael Burnett, MD


Snoring: How to Help You and Your Partner Sleep Better

Snoring is much more common than people may think, and if you’re a snorer, you’re definitely not alone. It has been estimated that about 45% of all adults snore at least occasionally. But if your partner happens to belong to the other 55%, you might have to consider fixing the problem. In this article, we’re going to give you a few tips on how to diminish your snoring.

Switch Positions

In some cases, doing something as simple as switching position can make a world of difference when it comes to snoring. Just elevating your head four inches can be enough to stop snoring episodes. Elevating your head will move your tongue forward preventing it from collapsing in the back of your throat while sleeping, leading to less obstruction and snoring.

Consider Sleeping on Your Sides

If you sleep on your back, the chances of you snoring will be greater because of your tongue’s position. To alleviate this, you should consider sleeping on your side. If you can’t seem to stay in that position during the night, and always subconsciously return to a back sleeping position, try this trick. Try sewing a sock to the back of your pajamas and put a tennis ball in it. Every time you turn to a back sleeping position, the discomfort will push you to go back to a side position. After a certain period of time, this will become your natural position and you’ll be able to ditch the tennis ball.

Try an Anti Snoring Device

Many devices are being sold that can help if you’re an occasional or chronic snorer. Most of these devices look like mouth guards commonly used by athletes. They work by modifying your jaw position to clear up your throat passages to facilitate air flow by pushing your tongue forward. While you can have one made by a dentist, you can also create your own DIY device. However, it’s always better to go with a professional alternative.

Clear Your Nasal Pathways

In some cases, all it takes is clearing up your sinuses before going to bed. Stuffy noses can be cleared with nothing but saline water and a Neti pot. Try to stay away from nasal decongestants as they can be habit forming. And, if you’re going to use a Neti pot with saline, make sure that you use distilled or reverse osmosis water.

While snoring can be fixed with a few adjustments, in some cases, extreme snoring can be caused by other underlying issues. In some cases, you’ll have no choice but to consult with an ENT doctor. If you’re a chronic snorer and can’t find a solution, don’t hesitate to contact us today to schedule an appointment with the best ENT doctor in NYC.

Contact us at 212-867-4813 to schedule a consultation.

Leave a reply

Michael C. Burnett, MD

115 East 57th Street
(Between Park + Lexington Ave.)
Suite 600
New York, NY 10022

212-867-4813